Thursday, February 12, 2015

Too Old for Romance?

I don't know if it's an age thing or a comfort thing.  When I dated almost everyone else before Matt, I often tried to go above and beyond in the romance department on special occasions like Valentine's day or birthdays.  I once sent a boyfriend on a scavenger hunt to find me on Valentine's day.  For Richard, I once baked and decorated a heart shaped cake with frosted roses that I made.  I've done creative music compilations and a myriad of other things for the men of my heart.  I did do a music thing for Matt on our first Valentine's day, but since then I haven't gone over the top like I've done in the past.  We usually go out for a nice dinner and Matt sends me flowers but that's about it.  Last year I think I bought him the Lumosity subscription.  I keep trying to figure out something to do this year and I couldn't think of anything.  Matt emailed me at work the other day asking if I wanted to go to an upcoming concert and I finally figured that I could just get him the tickets to the concert.  So that's what I did.  I no longer feel the need to go above and beyond with really creative ideas.  I try to be thoughtful and that's all I need to do.  I think that in the past, I felt the need to be creative to keep the other person interested.  I finally realize that a good relationship shouldn't require that much work.  It's not to say that you can't spice things up every now and then, but it shouldn't be required to keep your partner's attention.  So our Valentine's day will be fairly simple.  I'm sure that Matt will love the tickets.  I'm fairly certain that he'll be sending me flowers at school tomorrow.  But we're both happy with the way things are and that's the way it should be.

3 comments:

Billy said...

Honestly, less is more in my book. I am glad I have Saturday off. Enjoy your weekend!

Jan said...

I partially agree. A good relationship is a LOT of work, it just doesn't seem like it...

Mr. K is in the doghouse...so for Valentine's day, I'm giving him a list of the 5 fastest ways to get out of the dog house!

Anonymous said...

We just celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary by going out to dinner. Now it's Valentine's Day and we will be working to prepare for time away with our grandchildren. This is how we doing romance now.