Saturday, April 12, 2014

What a week!

It’s been a long, exhausting week but very fruitful.  It started with the beginning of the state library convention.  I’ve been serving on the Local Arrangements Committee for the past year.  Even though that meant that I wouldn’t get to participate in any conference sessions and that I had to work most of the conference, it did have some great perks.  On Monday we had our last meeting and worked on getting things set up for the start of the convention on Tuesday.  Every day I had to go in early – leaving my house by 7:15, but luckily I had a parking pass to park inside the convention center.  I worked in the Placement Center which is where both job seekers and employers come to look for or post jobs and conduct some interviews during the conference.  We had some resume reviewers that came and visited with job seekers as well.  I ended up reviewing a few of the resumes as well. 

The first general session speaker was James Patterson which was very good.  The highlight of the conference for me, however, was hearing Henry Winkler.  I grew up with Happy Days and nobody was cooler than “The Fonz.”  His talk was very engaging and entertaining.  I discovered that being part of the Local Arrangements Committee gave me an even more impressive perk – we got to go down to the “green room” when he finished and had our pictures taken with him.

thefonz2That was certainly the highlight of the conference for me.  He was very nice and was willing to take a picture with everyone that was in the room even though others were trying to hurry things up. 

So I made it through the conference, but haven’t caught up on sleep yet.  This morning I met my students at the school at 8:15.  We headed to their first Scrabble tournament.  My students did well – taking 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 8th places.  They all seemed to have fun as well.   So it was a successful weekend, but now I’m exhausted.  I’m going to do my Lumosity training shortly and then head to bed.  Matt and I have a bit of a rivalry going on with Lumosity.  There are two word games on there and I keep beating him.  He knows more words than I do, but I am a much faster typist.  Well, I better get playing so I can get to bed. 

No comments: