Thursday, January 23, 2014

A New Member of the Family

I didn’t really want another dog so soon after having to put Max down.  But I also knew that Matt has been talking about getting another dog even before Max took a turn for the worst.  I knew that if we didn’t mutually decide on a dog at some point that he would come home with a puppy.  So on Tuesday at school one of the Science teachers came to see me in the library and asked if I was interested in another dog.  She knows I’m an animal lover and that we just put Max to sleep.  A dog ended up on her doorstep and so she took it in.  Her kids took it around the neighborhood to see if they could find its owners, but didn’t have any luck.  She didn’t have a collar or tag.  So when she came to ask me if I was interested, I said no, but that Matt probably was.  So she sent me a picture of the dog and I sent it to Matt.  Of course he was interested.  So yesterday we went to the teacher’s house and got the dog.  She was skittish with both Matt and I when we got there.  But Matt picked her up and I rode with her in the back seat back to the house.  She didn’t mind being in the car at all, but she was shaking for a bit.  I think she wasn’t sure about us and couldn’t figure out what was going on.  Of course traffic was slow during rush hour, but once we got home the dog made herself at home. 

We debated names most of the evening.  We got several suggestions from Facebook friends.  Matt originally chose “Betty” but I wasn’t keen on it.  I wanted Matt to name her though, since she is “his” dog.  This morning he decided on Angie which is for “N-G” or “New Girl.”  She has figured out how to use the doggy door so she’s pretty smart.  We bought her a toy to play with last night and she has been enjoying it.  Mollie is getting along with her, but puts her in her place from time to time by snapping at her.  Mollie has always been a jealous dog.  I think deep down she kind of likes her.  Angie wants Mollie to play with her, but Mollie is kind of set in her ways.  Lucy the cat has found her tolerable except for a few moments ago when Angie barked at her. 

I know you’re probably anxious for some pictures so here are a few of them I was able to get during the brief moments she has been somewhat still.

photo 1 photo 2 photo 3 photo 4

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww...Angie is a cutie. She looks like our very first dog, over 40 years ago. Welcome, Angie!

LM